Tuesday, February 7, 2012

539-541. Wolfgang

Mozart's middle name -- Amadeus --
Means "Lover of God."  He can lay us
Prostrate in the aisles
And give leaders big smiles
When conducting a Mass from the dais.


For piano or strings or woodwinds,
His concerti need not make amends.
For none's second-rate,
And some are just great!
His talent, I'd say, never ends.


The symphonies rarely do fail,
To brighten, enlighten, assail
Our spirits with joy.
(Some were done when a boy!)
A genius, he, so all hail!


I could (and probably should) go on and on.  I didn't even mention his chamber works, operas, solo piano pieces, requiem, divertimenti, etc.  I'll never forget turning 40 and lamenting to a friend that I didn't feel as if I'd accomplished much thus far in life.  She kindly mailed me a card and wrote "Don't be depressed.  When Mozart was your age.... he'd been dead five years!"  (Thanks a lot, Suzy!)

1 comment:

  1. Probably best to keep Mozart limericks in the black category, although his zest for life (though surely not as juvenile as the Amadeus movie would have us believe)would have made him a big fan of your red variety. Yet his music is of such a pure and perfect kind of beauty that it is wise to leave his memory unblemished with only clean and clever limericks. These were really good.

    ReplyDelete