Tuesday, January 29, 2013

934. Idiom of odium

One overused phrase gives me hell,
It's when sentences end with "as well."
What's happened to "too"
And "also"?  Would you
Let me know how, from grace, those words fell?


This is one of my pet peeves.  Those single words for "in addition to" seem to have disappeared from our language.  It wouldn't bother me so much if folks didn't tack on "as well" just to sound educated.  I hear, "I'm wearing jeans, as well" when no one else had said they were wearing jeans.  I also hear, "I'm also going, as well."  Jeez!  As if redundancy makes you appear smart.

1 comment:

  1. It only makes one appear smart to dumb people.

    In addition, I'll type a sentence like that also, as well, too.

    From the Department of Redundancy Department.

    ReplyDelete