Wednesday, December 6, 2017

2746. This story needs a morel

What int'resting plants are the fungi*
They've no leaves and no wood and they're spongy
Plus, they lack chlorophyll.
While some toadstools can kyll
You'd as likely die jumping with bungee.

* Latin words ending with 'i' are pronounced as if they end 'ee.'  The 'eye' sound is for words ending with 'ae' like alumnae.

On the other hand, that 'g' in fungi isn't pronounced like our 'j' (as my rhyme requires.)  People who say "fun guy" are wrong, but only about the ending vowel sound.

2 comments:

  1. Allow me to truffle with you. Did Great Caesar's Ghost manifest himself to debate with you over the proper pronunciation of his Dead Language? If so, he was a Parry Wight.

    Latin is a language
    As dead as dead can be.
    First it killed the Romans,
    And now it's killing me. --Anon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Wight" is now in my vocab, Okie, so thanks for that. I love goblin' up new words!

    My HS Latin teacher, Cecile (pronounced SEE-sul, like a man!) Smith was probably living when it was still spoken.

    She was so old that she remembered when the Dead Sea was only sick, but she taught me and our other brother extremely well. I still remember LOTS of words and grammar, even 'tho I took just one year before taking 2 years of French.

    ReplyDelete