Saturday, April 2, 2016

2046. Inflammatory behavior

To a drugstore a whore came a'rollin'
(The prescription she had had been stolen)
She drove thru the portico,
Picking up cortico-
Steroids.  Her snatch ached from trollin'.


Using the word 'had' consecutively in L2 reminded me of an orthographic challenge I was given almost 60 years ago.  Punctuate this sentence so that it makes sense:
Smith where Jones had had had had had had had had had had had the teacher's approval.
Put your answer in a comment.  

3 comments:

  1. As I am not capable of posting italics in my words (yes, I'm a technotard), I shall replace the wished-for italics with capital letters...

    Smith, where Jones had had "HAD", had had "HAD had"; "HAD had" had had the teacher's approval.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfect, Suzanne! Had you seen it before or did you figure it out?

    BTW, this comment section doesn't allow for italics, bold facing, underlining, colors, etc. I don't think AWAD's comment box does either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, no italics capability in comment section? Good! Then I'm not as technotarded as I thought. I now feel a smidgeon smarter.

    Yes, I had seen the 'multi-had' sentence before, but before THAT, I just knew there'd have to be commas and quotation marks.(there, I feel even smarter now... I'm just a mensa queen, ya know... sometimes)

    ReplyDelete