Wednesday, November 20, 2013

1197. Big buildup for a mediocre limmie

Robin Sutherland, Principal Pianist with the San Francisco Symphony, has been mentioned herein several times.  We are friends and besides his being an excellent musician he's one of the cleverest people I know.  In a recent email he wrote, "The symphony is rehearsing Benjamin Britten's War Requiem, or, as I like to call it, 'The Dead Person's Guide to the Orchestra'..." 

(For you non-musicians, one of Britten's most famous works is "The Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra.")  Anyway,

Of composer Ben, much has been written
(I refer to Sir Benjamin Britten)
Robin's "Dead Person's Guide"
Made me laugh 'til I cried
His humor's again left me smitten.


If you'd like to hear some of Robin's fine and sensitive playing, CLICK HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment