Tuesday, March 4, 2014

1262. Disobedient soldier?

When I was a college freshman, my English prof told the class, "It's pronounced 'pro-ME-thoose.'  After all, we say 'Zoose', not 'Zee-us', don't we?"  I think he may have been incorrect but it does provide the proper meter for my limerick...
A lesser-god raised up the ire
Of Zeus, causing Zeus to inquire:
"Prometheus, you Titan,
How come you are spitin'
Me?  Didn't I say, 'Hold your fire'?"


In mythology, Prometheus received eternal punishment for giving fire to humans.

3 comments:

  1. I guess that English prof didn't know much about teaching the use of quotation marks, either. The interrogative belongs with Zeus' direct statement, not his citing of himself:

    "...Didn't I say, 'Hold your fire'?"

    Otherwise, another Olympian effort, Mr. Limericist.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Picky, picky -- but I guess since 'Hold your fire' (when said by Zeus) was a declarative -- not an interrogatory -- statement, then you're correct that the question mark needs to fall AFTER the closing single quote mark.

    Ever considered a career as a proof-reader, Okie?

    ReplyDelete