Saturday, August 26, 2017

2625-2629. Killer AWADs

This week's offerings from A.Word.A.Day were extremely difficult for rhyming.  I suspected that many of the limericks submitted to Wordsmith.org for inclusion in the weekend roundup (the AWADmail) would have near-rhymes, so I took on the task of trying to avoid any and sent these in.  How'd I do?

Parergon (pa RUHR gahn) - an accessory, embellishment, or byproduct of a main work
A polar bear lived an iceberg on
Just wishing he had a parergon.
Found a turpentine can,
Thought it might yield a tan,
Then wondered, "Hey!  Where has my fur gone?"


Deterge (di TUHRGE) - to wash, wipe, or cleanse
Secret Service is having to splurge
On hotels, is it time for a purge?
Food at Trump's Mar a lago
Costs like it's from Spago,
How long before Don we deterge?


Trangam (TRANG um) - a trinket, puzzle, or odd gadget
Got a call from my friend, Larry Langham,
He said, "I'm in need of some trangam."
"My Monopoly™ game
Has no tokens --- a shame."
I told him, "No problem, I'll brang 'em."


Transitive - a verb that takes an object; or involving transition; or changeable, transient
Some Germans who really liked schmaltz
Gave cotillions in downtown New Paltz
The music, while dance-ative
Was certainly transitive,
Kept switching from polka to waltz.


Synoptic - relating to a summary or general view of something, or taking a similar view (as the first three Gospels of the Bible -- Matthew, Mark, Luke)
A Christian in Egypt, a Coptic,
Reads the Gospels in manner synoptic.
He does this on-line
Which is normally fine,
Unless there's a glitch fiber-optic.

2 comments:

  1. You did absolutely splendidly! Making the impossible possible again, as I've said many times regarding your past efforts at challenging poetic mountainous terrain. These ones put the wannabe-limericists to shame, but more optimistically, showing them how it's done (a great learning tool!)

    Shouldn't you have a star by now in the Limerick Hall of Fame?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Email me your mailing address, Suzanne, so I can send you your check! Geez, I'm blushing here from your praises.

    Sadly, Anu can't tell a good poem from a doggerel, so I expect he will print at most one or two of mine.

    He's big on keeping his longest-term contributors happy by giving them plenty of exposure every week --- regardless of how awful their rhymes or rhythms.

    ReplyDelete