Tuesday, October 23, 2012

PD52-54. The limerick in song

Perhaps all this limerick writing has me thinking in anapæst and has affected my subconscious.  I awakened with Gershwin's "It Ain't Necessarily So" from Porgy and Bess running through my head.  Its lyrics (by brother Ira) follow the AABBA rhyme scheme.  Here are the first and last verses:

It ain't necessarily so,
It ain't necessarily so.
The things that you're liable
To read in your bible
Just ain't necessarily so.

Methuselah lived nine hundred years,
Methuselah lived nine hundred years.
But who calls that livin'
When no gal'll give in
To no man what's nine hundred years?

For the complete lyrics click this.

Beginning in the late 50's there was a black show band from North Carolina called "Doug Clark and the Hot Nuts."  They played to mostly college-age audiences throughout the south and I saw them live at least three times.  I just checked Youtube and discovered that they are still touring!  I daresay that I learned many 'classic' limericks from their rendition of  "The Limerick Song", sung to the tune of Cielito Lindo.  The chorus went

"Ai-yi-yi-yiiiii, 
In China they do it for chili.
So here comes another verse 
That's worse than the other verse 
And waltz me around by my willie."
and those were about the cleanest lyrics they sang!  Shocking stuff back then...

1 comment:

  1. Then you may enjoy these:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ei68YJe-nA0
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfoq_dgz_9w

    ReplyDelete